• 6 Cups-Vegetable Stock-plus extra as needed
• 1 1/2 Cups-Yellow Cornmeal-fine ground
• 1 Teaspoon-Kosher Salt
• 2 Tablespoons-Unsalted Butter
• 1/4 Cup-Mascarpone Cheese-or cream cheese
• 1/2 Cup-Parmesan Cheese-grated
• To Taste-Black Pepper
Ragout-a thick, rich, well-seasoned stew of meat, poultry or fish and sometimes vegetables.
• 1 Tablespoons-Unsalted Butter
• 1 Tablespoon-Olive Oil
• 1 Each-Yellow Onion-medium, about 1 cup, sliced into half-moons
• 2 Cloves-Fresh Garlic-smashed and chopped
• 2 Tablespoons-Honey
• 1 1/2 Pounds-Cremini Mushrooms-quartered
• To Kosher Salt/Black Pepper/Crushed Red Pepper
• 1/4 Cup-Balsamic Vinegar
1. Bring chicken stock to a boil in a large pot.
2. In one steady stream add cornmeal slowly while stirring with a wire whisk, lower heat to low.
3. Once cornmeal is incorporated add salt and stir to combine.
4. Continue to stir and cook the polenta for 30 to 45 minutes or until creamy.
5. If the polenta becomes too thick add a little water to keep it to a lose consistency.
6. Begin preparing balsamic mushroom ragout, while polenta is cooking continue to stir frequently.
7. Melt butter with olive oil over medium-low heat, add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
8. Add garlic and honey and continue to cook, stirring frequently.
9. Cook until onions begin to caramelize and turn a golden brown, about 10 minutes, lower heat if necessary.
10. Add mushrooms, season with salt/pepper/crushed red and stir to combine
11. Raise heat to medium high and add balsamic vinegar.
12. Cook, stirring frequently until mushrooms are cooked through, about 5 minutes.
13. If pan runs dry add a little water and lower heat a bit to finish cooking the mushrooms.
14. Remove pan from heat and let stand covered until ready to top polenta.
15. When polenta is done it should have a loose/creamy texture.
16. Remove from heat, add butter/mascarpone/cream cheese/parmesan and black pepper.
17. Stir to melt butter and cheese.
18. Spoon polenta onto a large serving platter or on individual plates.
19. Make an indention in polenta and ladle balsamic mushroom ragout into the indention.